Current Featured Content Blog

The Wends of Texas book cover

The Wends of Texas

An early examination, in chronological sequence, of the circumstances and events in the lives of the little known Texas pioneers, the Wends. The inclusion of an Appendix comprising the names and other information concerning the Wendish passengers who set sail in 1854 to find a new way of...

Women in Wendish Booth at 1973 Texas Folklife Festival

Women in Wendish Booth

Photograph of Lillie Moerbe Caldwell (left) and Mary Schimank, standing in the Wendish Gallery booth, at the second annual Texas Folklife Festival. The booth is sponsored by the Wendish Culture Club; one woman is holding a piece of wood that says, “Texas Wends 1854-1973.” Lace doilies for sale...

Woman Preparing Wendish Noodles

Photograph of a woman making Wendish noodles at the Texas Folklife Festival. She is wearing a bonnet, sunglasses, a shawl, and a checkered skirt. She is scooping up some noodles out of a large pot in front of her. Other pots and pans are also visible on the...

Touring the Wendish Homeland

In the region of Schleife, which consists of the villages of Schleife (Slepo), Rohne (Rowno), Mulkwitz (Mulkecy), Mühlrose (Miloraz), Trebendorf (Trjebin), Halbendorf (Brězowka), and Groß Düben (Dźewin), the Advent season tradition of the gift-giving Christkind (dźěćetko) is kept alive. According to the tradition, a young woman who will...

Wendish Communities Fedor – Part I

The early names for the Fedor community were Bluff Creek, Moab, and West Yegua (YEHwah). Yegua is the Spanish name for mare and became the name for a creek. The name change to Fedor began when August Polnick, an early Wendish settler, decided to move to Thorndale, and...

Johann Kilian’s Call

Following is the text of Rev. Johann Kilian’s Call to serve as pastor for the group of Wends that emigrated on the Ben Nevis in 1854. The original document is located in the archives of St. Paul Lutheran Church, Serbin, Texas and a typed copy is included with...

The Wends at Thorndale and Noack

The Wendish road to Thorndale first led to Hochkirch, or Noack, as it is called today. The distance separating the two communities is about 9 miles. On September 21, 1871, 7 years before Thorndale even existed, Peter Zieschang purchased 440 acres of land on Brushy Creek in southern...

The Wendish Lutheran Church of Texas

The early Wendish Lutherans in Texas have left an interesting history of Lutheranism in North America. One can discern the classic factors which may effect the outward unity of a church, though in a microcosm, even among these faithful Lutherans. Religious identity, national identity, pastoral leadership, language, personality,...

History of Holy Cross, Warda, Texas – Daughter of Serbin, 1873-1905

The beginnings of Holy Cross lie in the dissensions within the Serbin congregation. After Ernst Leuber, teacher at St. Paul’s, Serbin, and his party left to organize St. Peter’s Church, it did not take long for Karl Teinert, one of the other dissenters, to air his grievances against Pastor Kilian. He used his influence to persuade a number of farmers near the Rabbs Creek section that their interests would be best served if they should separate from the two Serbin congregations and organize their own parish.